As pet owners we want to do everything we can for our pets. We know our pets deserve the very best medical care, but at times providing that care can be difficult due to financial constraints.
Pet insurance is one way to help reimburse owners for part of, or the whole, veterinary bill for injured or ill patients. Some plans even cover preventive care or when pets are lost or stolen.
If you decide to start looking for pet insurance, there are many different companies from which to choose. And each company has many different plans. This can sometimes be overwhelming and confusing however it also allows you to choose the plan that best fits your needs. Just like human healthcare, you can choose deductible or coinsurance amounts based on your budget.
Here are some things to consider when choosing a pet insurance plan:
- Is preventive care covered?
- Are preexisting conditions covered?
- Are congenital and hereditary conditions covered (such as hip dysplasia and heart defects)?
- Will the insurance pay a percentage of the bill or will they pay a dollar amount based on the pets diagnosis?
- Are there limitations, such as yearly limits on payouts, or lifetime limits?
Pet insurance is something all good pet owners should consider. It is, however a big decision and takes some time and research to find the one to best suite your needs. Don’t hesitate to contact us here at (803) 808-8292 with any questions. We would be glad to help.